First Aid for Insect Bites : How to Identify Bee & Wasp Stings


You know, many times throughout the year,
many of us are bitten by the common bee, wasp, or hornet. Hi, I’m Captain Joe Bruni, and
what I’m going to talk about is how to identify that you’ve been stung or bitten by the common
bee, wasp, or hornet. Many times, the wasp or hornet will leave some type of what looks
like a small hole in the skin, or a dark spot. The area will swell and begin to turn red.
The common bee will leave some type of stinger as they detach it and fly off. Keep in mind,
the stinger from the common bee should not be removed with a pair of tweezers or with
anything that could squeeze the venom sac, and cause further envenomation of that stinger.
Something like a butter knife or a credit card could be used to scrape the stinger away
from the skin; against the grain, so the stinger can be easily removed without squeezing it
or injecting more toxin into the body. Apply ice, and wash the wound with soap and water;
monitoring for signs of some type of allergic reaction, which is commonly referred to as
an anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis will include difficulty in breathing, a swelling
of the tongue, and some other sign that the person is going into some type of respiratory
distress, or hives forming over the rest of the body. If this occurs, seek medical attention
immediately. The common bee, wasp, and hornet can ruin anyone’s day. Identification that
you’ve been bitten by one of those is commonly some type of small hole or stinger left in
the, in the skin, accompanied by redness, burning sensation, and pain. I’m Captain Joe
Bruni. Stay safe, and we’ll see ya’ next time.