You know at some point in time all of us may
experience carbon monoxide poisoning or encounter someone who was overcome with carbon monoxide.
The causes are many. The symptoms can present themselves in various ways. Hi, I’m Captain
Joe Bruni, and what I want to talk about is how to treat the individual who experiences
carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide bonds to the red blood cells, or hemoglobin,
two hundred times faster than oxygen, and once bonded to the red blood cells does not
permit oxygen to enter into the red blood cell. The quickest course of action is to
remove the patient to fresh air. The signs and symptoms may include fatigue, delirium,
or extreme headache. If you suspect someone is experiencing carbon monoxide poisoning
remove them to fresh air, activate the emergency response system to get help in route that
will have compressed oxygen to be delivered. It is also necessary that the person be taken
to the local emergency room or to their doctor’s office as pure oxygen will need to be delivered
to get back into the system and replace the carbon monoxide that happens to be bonded
to the red blood cells. Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a damaging event to the brain that
will last a lifetime. I’m Captain Joe Bruni, stay safe, and we’ll see you next time.