How to Treat Poison Ivy


How to Treat Poison Ivy. Uh… did you just sit in a patch of poison
ivy? Yeah you did! Now what? You will need Rubbing alcohol Cool water Soap
Hydrocortisone cream Calamine lotion Cotton balls Menthol cream Cool compresses and jewelweed
sap. Seek medical attention immediately if you
experience a severe allergic reaction to poison ivy, such as a swelling of the mouth or nose,
difficulty breathing or swallowing, or a high fever. Step 1. If you’ve been exposed to poison ivy and
you act quickly, you may be able to avoid an outbreak. Pour rubbing alcohol on the area that came
in contact with the plant, then rinse with cold running water. Do not rinse with warm or hot water, which
can cause the plant’s oils to be absorbed more quickly. Also, to avoid spreading the oils, don’t
take a bath, and avoid showering without first rinsing. Step 2. Use soap and water to thoroughly wash the
area. This might help prevent the outbreak. Scrub under your fingernails, and immediately
remove and wash your clothes (and anything else that might have the plant’s oils on
it) in hot water. If you have one on hand, use a poison ivy-specific
cleanser, like Tecnu or Zanfel. Step 3. Be on the lookout for the symptoms, which
appear between four and 48 hours after exposure. They can include redness, itching, swelling,
and blisters. Although you won’t be able to cure the rash,
you can help reduce the itching. If an outbreak covers your entire body, or
is on your eyes, mouth, or genitals, see a doctor. Step 4. Once the outbreak has begun, use over-the-counter
anti-itch products, like hydrocortisone cream, calamine lotion, and menthol creams (like
Sarna). See which works best for you, and don’t
scratch any blisters! Step 5. Applying cool compresses to the affected area
can help relieve irritation. Also, instead of water, you can use an astringent
solution with aluminum sulfate, like Domeboro. A natural remedy is to rub on the sap of the
jewelweed plant, also known as touch-me-not. It’s found in damp, shady areas, often near
poison ivy. From summer to fall, look for orange trumpet-like
flowers. Step 6. Still suffering? Soak in a cool tub filled with water and a
colloidal oatmeal treatment (like Aveeno). Step 7. Before bed, take an oral antihistamine, like
Benadryl, to help with the symptoms and make you drowsy. Step 8. If the blisters begin to ooze pus, if you
develop a fever above 100°, or if the outbreak doesn’t clear up within a few weeks, see
a doctor. You may have caused a secondary infection
by scratching and could need antibiotics. Did you know Global warming has made poison
ivy 50% to 75% stronger and more toxic than it was 50 years ago.